Archived OpenModelica forums. Posting is disabled.

Alternative forums include GitHub discussions or StackOverflow (make sure to read the Stack Overflow rules; you need to have well-formed questions)

Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register

Modeling a district heating

Modeling a district heating

Hello,

First of all I am a complete beginner with modelica so please forgive the stupid questions...

I would like to model a district heating system, ideally it would include one or several boilers, heat exchangers, pipes of various length and diameter distributing hot water to several buildings with different heating needs, and possibly storage tanks. Of course for the beginning I will keep it as simple as possible, and I'll try to improve the model when I get to learn more about OpenModelica.

Do you know which library I should use? I think the one which is best suited to what I want to do is Modelica.Fluid, but from what I understood it is not supported by OpenModelica. Is there any free equivalent?

For the moment I tried to use Thermal.FluidHeatFlow, but I don't even manage to build a very simple model. For example, I just want to create a closed water circuit, with a pump, a fixed heat flow block representing a boiler, and a convection block representing the house. But I don't know where to specify the initial temperature of the water, or even that the fluid used is water... Does anyone know where I could find a introduction/tutorial that could teach me that?

I'm also having trouble with understanding what the parameters for the components are. For example, how can i change the length and diameter of a pipe?

And a few basic questions: is it normal that the copy/paste isn't working? Why can't I simulate the examples included in the package?

Thanks a lot for any help you could provide!

Re: Modeling a district heating

Hello,

I am developing component models for the simulation of solar thermal systems using Modelica. Till now, I have used standard models from the Thermal library to build up more complex components. If you want to contact me (miquellleo.alomar@uib.es), I can send you some basic examples that could help you to start.

Regards

Re: Modeling a district heating

This response is ofcourse way to late for it to be of use for you, but maybe someone else.

I've started modelica a couple of months ago for the same purpose. And what i've found is that (re)declaring a medium is a manual job in OpenModelica. In dymola you get a dropdown menu. If I understand right from the ticket, this feature will be added with OpenModelica 2.0. My experience up till now is that its impossible to use modelica without using the text editor and reading what happens within the model.

I've had the same experiences with fluidheatflow and fluid libraries and I would advise downloading the DCOL library and buildings library for their examples.

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic