Archived OpenModelica forums. Posting is disabled.

Alternative forums include GitHub discussions or StackOverflow (make sure to read the Stack Overflow rules; you need to have well-formed questions)

Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register

Connect two differential equations in model - How?

Connect two differential equations in model - How?

Hello!

Can someone show me how to connect two differential equation? Let's say I got two classes, mass with the differential equation F = m*a and the other class, spring with the differential equation F = k*x. k = spring stiffness and x = the length. m = mass in Kg and a = acceleration in m/s^2.

So i got two classes. Now I want to connect thoose two in a model so it will become a mass-spring system. How do I do that?

The purpose with this question is that I want to modleing with differential equation from classes into a model.

Edited by: Volvo742 - Jan-19-17 19:52:52

Re: Connect two differential equations in model - How?

Nobody knows how to use own made classes into a model?

To connect classes or models, you should use ports.
- Ports will exchange information between the two classes you've defined based on how you've connected them.
- You can define your own ports or use the ports existing in the Standard library.

You can see some examples here:
http://spoken-tutorial.org/tutorial-sea … ge=English (also linked from our first www.openmodelica.org) page.

knkc wrote:

To connect classes or models, you should use ports.
- Ports will exchange information between the two classes you've defined based on how you've connected them.
- You can define your own ports or use the ports existing in the Standard library.

Can you show me an exemple?

Let say that you do a RLC-circuit and every component has its own dynamic system.

adrpo wrote:

You can see some examples here:
http://spoken-tutorial.org/tutorial-sea … ge=English (also linked from our first www.openmodelica.org) page.

Thank you. But that Indian didin't show compleatly how to develop classes, who contain an ODE,  and then connect them all.

For examples look into the Modelica Standard Libraries (MSL).

Have a look in Modelica.Mecanics.Translational.
Look inside:
- Modelica.Mecanics.Translational.Interfaces for connectors
- Modelica.Mecanics.Components for components (have a look how they extend the Interfaces)
- Modelica.Mecanics.Examples.Damper on how for example Mass and Spring are are connected together

You can read a bit more about Modelica, for example:
http://book.xogeny.com/

Edited by: adrpo - Jan-20-17 23:52:35

This is how you define a port

connector Electrical_port
import Modelica.SIunits.*;
  Voltage v "Potential at the pin" ;
  flow Current i ;
end Electrical_port;

After you've defined a port. drag and drop this port in the resistor model. And you can code a simple resistor model with the equation V = I*R as shown below

model Resistor
Voltage v ;
Current i "Current flowing from pin p to pin n";
parameter Resistance R (start=1)
    "Resistance at temperature T_ref";
Electrical_port p annotation(
    Placement(visible = true, transformation(origin = {-100, 0}, extent = {{-10, -10}, {10, 10}}, rotation = 0), iconTransformation(origin = {-100, 0}, extent = {{-10, -10}, {10, 10}}, rotation = 0)));
Electrical_port n annotation(
    Placement(visible = true, transformation(origin = {100, 0}, extent = {{-10, -10}, {10, 10}}, rotation = 0), iconTransformation(origin = {100, 0}, extent = {{-10, -10}, {10, 10}}, rotation = 0)));
equation
  v = p.v - n.v;
  0 = p.i + n.i;
  i = p.i;
  v = R*i;
end Resistor;

Likewise, you can create a similar model for inductor and capacitor. Once the ports are in place you can drag and drop all these classes in a model and connect them as you want and you can run the simulation.

Hope this helps for more information you can refer the link given by adrpo

knkc wrote:

This is how you define a port

connector Electrical_port
  Voltage v "Potential at the pin" ;
  flow Current i ;
end Electrical_port;

After you've defined a port. drag and drop this port in the resistor model. And you can code a simple resistor model with the equation V = I*R as shown below

model Resistor
Voltage v ;
Current i "Current flowing from pin p to pin n";
parameter Resistance R (start=1)
    "Resistance at temperature T_ref";
Electrical_port p annotation(
    Placement(visible = true, transformation(origin = {-100, 0}, extent = {{-10, -10}, {10, 10}}, rotation = 0), iconTransformation(origin = {-100, 0}, extent = {{-10, -10}, {10, 10}}, rotation = 0)));
Electrical_port n annotation(
    Placement(visible = true, transformation(origin = {100, 0}, extent = {{-10, -10}, {10, 10}}, rotation = 0), iconTransformation(origin = {100, 0}, extent = {{-10, -10}, {10, 10}}, rotation = 0)));
equation
  v = p.v - n.v;
  0 = p.i + n.i;
  i = p.i;
  v = R*i;
end Resistor;

Likewise, you can create a similar model for inductor and capacitor. Once the ports are in place you can drag and drop all these classes in a model and connect them as you want and you can run the simulation.

Hope this helps for more information you can refer the link given by adrpo

So I need to use openmodelica SI-units and packages If I want to connect ODE's ? Or else it won't work?

No. import Modelica.SIunits.*; only imports the units of the variables that I use.
->If you expand the standard Modelica library you'll find in the end SI units package.
-> In the SI units package all the commonly used units are defined.
-> So instead of defining the units of the variables that I would use every time, I import the same as most of them are already defined in the SI units package.

If you want to define your own units for a variable you can do it like this
parameter Real v (unit = "m/s");

alternately

parameter Modelica.SIunits.Velocity v;

or

parameter Velocity v;

or

import SI = Modelica.SIunits;
parameter SI.Velocity v;

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic
You are here: