Archived OpenModelica forums. Posting is disabled.

Alternative forums include GitHub discussions or StackOverflow (make sure to read the Stack Overflow rules; you need to have well-formed questions)

Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register

ExternalMedia installation/set-up issues

ExternalMedia installation/set-up issues

Hello,

I have tried several different methods to get ExternalMedia working with OpenModelica.

When I load the package into OpenModelica and follow the "Installation.txt" instructions, none of the test models run successfully.

Is there any key step I may be missing? Or where can I find step-by-step instructions as well as manuals with examples on how to use ExternalMedia correctly?

Thank you for any help!

Edited by: jgifford - Oct-08-18 20:39:46

Re: ExternalMedia installation/set-up issues

I had a similar problem. But after a lot of time struggling with my partners, we finally managed to find a solution to make the library working.
First we had to set up a (virtual) machine with a Windows 32bit system and install a previous version of OpenModelica, in particular v.1.9.7.
Then you follow the instructions in the installation.txt for OpenModelica under windows, i.e.:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
## OpenModelica under Windows

- Go to the Modelica/ExternalMedia 3.2.1/Resources/Library/win32 directory
- Copy the libExternalMediaLib.OMC-gcc.a file to a new file named
  libExternalMediaLib.a in the same directory

You can now load the library, by opening the Modelica/ExternalMedia 3.2.1/package.mo
file
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope this helps.

If anyone has found a way to run this library in a 64 bit system which would be faster as it supports more RAM and with a recent version of OpenModelica,  it would be welcome!

Edited by: Violidakis - Oct-10-18 07:44:41

Hello sir ,
i want to need help
Thank you.

Edited by: cafeesa - Oct-24-18 08:08:07

Hi,

I am also struggling making ExternalMedia library work with OpenModelica (Windows). If anyone have an idea, please let me know.

Thanks a lot,
Adrien

Hello!
What is your problem?
Have you tried the suggested solution I presented at the second post?
I needed to install a 32 bit version of  Windows and use an older version of OpenModelica to make it work ...

Hey,

I'm also having problems, even with the 32bit version.

I copied the .a-file and changed the name just like it says in the installation.txt but I also can't run any example. I'm using the openmodelica version of 1.16.0, maybe that is the problem. What is the latest version of modelica you have tested ExternalMediaLib with?

Furthermore, I can't get the 32bit version without crashing every few minutes. Is this also common?

Thanks everybody for your help!

Hi there,

No need to install a virtual machine to use openModelica 1.9.7 and ExternalMedia.

I have Windows 10, with two versions of openModelica installed. I use version 1.9.7 to use ExternalMedia and 1.16.2 for the rest of the stuff.
I followed the following steps to have the two versions installed:
a) Install version 1.16.2 (64 bits)
b) Remove the environment variables (not sure if absolutely necessary). To do this:
     i. Open Windows Powershell: right click on window start button -> Windows PowerShell
     ii. Type: rundll32.exe sysdm.cpl,EditEnvironmentVariables
     iii. Find OPENMODELICAHOME and OPENMODELICALIBRARY and remove them.
c) Temporally rename the folder of the openModelica installation folder. This is necessary otherwise the installer of the 1.9.7 version will complain and try to uninstall 1.16.2. You can add an underscore at the end of the folder's name, like this: c:\Program Files\OpenModelica1.16.2-64bit_
d) Install version 1.9.7.
e) Remove the new environment variables created by this last installation
f) Create two BAT files to launch the programs. This is necessary since we need to create the environment variables:
Example:
File "OMEdit1.9.7.bat":
set OPENMODELICAHOME=C:\OpenModelica1.9.7
set OPENMODELICALIBRARY=C:\OpenModelica1.9.7\lib\omlibrary
%OPENMODELICAHOME%\bin\OMEdit

File "OMEdit1.16.2.bat":
set OPENMODELICAHOME=C:\Program Files\OpenModelica1.16.2-64bit
set OPENMODELICALIBRARY=C:\Program Files\OpenModelica1.16.2-64bit\lib\omlibrary
%OPENMODELICAHOME%\bin\OMEdit

If you want a nice OpenModelica icon over these BAT files, just create a shortcut to them and, in the properties of these shortcuts, change the icon to c:\OpenModelica1.9.7\bin\OMEdit.exe or C:\Program Files\OpenModelica1.16.2-64bit\bin\OMEdit.exe

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic
You are here: